Corinne Bailey Rae spent her childhood life at her birthplace in Leeds, West Yorkshire. She was born by a West Indian father and an English mother. Corinne Bailey Rae was the eldest among three siblings. She began her music career at a very young age. She studied classical violin at her school in West Yorkshire. Suddenly her interest changed into singing. She started off her singing career in church where she used to sing every Sunday. Singing in church was her favorite part of the service. Corinne Bailey Rae soon shifts to a Baptist church were she became a member of the choir. Singing in church broadened her knowledge in music. She formed her all-female indie group when she was 15. The group was named Helen which was inspired by similar acts such as Veruca Salt and L7. During that time, the group dominated the indie music scene. The group played in many places around Leeds, including a memorable performance at Joseph's Well with Leeds-based band Swift. the group became the first indie band to sign in Roadrunner Records (a major record label that concentrates heavily on metal and post-hardcore bands; some of their current most successful artists include Cradle Of Filth, Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Machine Head, Nickelback, Opeth, Slipknot, Soulfly, DragonForce and Stone Sour). However the limelight of their fame did not last for long when their bassist became pregnant. The group disbanded and Corinne Bailey Rae moved on to her solo career. She began to sing in a local jazz club were she discovered her love in jazz music. She married a saxophone player named Jason Rae in 2001 at the age of 22.
Corinne Bailey Rae (album): self-titled debut album by Corinne Bailey Rae, recorded in 2005 and released on February 24, 2006 under EMI records (Electric and Musical Industries). It went straight in at number one on both the UK Top 75 Albums and the UK Top 40 R&B Albums, produced by Corinne Bailey Rae, Paul Herman, Justin Broad, Steve Bush, Steve Chrisanthou, Andrew Hale, Tommy D, Steve Brown, and RWK.
- "Like a Star" (Corinne Bailey Rae) – 4:03
- "Enchantment" (Corinne Bailey Rae, Rod Bowkett) – 3:57
- "Put Your Records On" (Corinne Bailey Rae, John Beck, Steve Chrisanthou) – 3:35
- "Till It Happens to You" (Corinne Bailey Rae, Pam Sheyne, Paul Herman) – 4:38
- "Trouble Sleeping" (Corinne Bailey Rae, John Beck, Steve Chrisanthou) – 3:28
- "Call Me When You Get This" (Corinne Bailey Rae, Steve Bush) – 5:04
- "Choux Pastry Heart" (Corinne Bailey Rae, Teitur Lassen) – 3:57
- "Breathless" (Corinne Bailey Rae, Marc Nelkin) – 4:15
- "I'd Like To" (Corinne Bailey Rae, Tommy Danvers, Paul Herman) – 4:08
- "Butterfly" (Corinne Bailey Rae, Rod Bowkett) – 3:53
- "Seasons Change" (Corinne Bailey Rae, Steve Brown) – 4:55
- "Another Rainy Day" (Japanese/iTunes bonus track) (Corinne Bailey Rae) – 3:15