Wimbledon Tennis History and Information
The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, which is accountable for staging the world's leading tennis tournament, is a private Club founded in 1868, originally as 'The All England Croquet Club' and its first land was situated off Worple Road, Wimbledon.
In 1875 lawn tennis, a game introduced by major Walter Clpton Wingfield year or so earlier and at first called 'Sphairistike', was added to the activities of the Club. In the spring of 1877 the Club was re-titled 'The All England Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club' and signaled it’s altering of name by instituting the first Lawn Tennis Championship. A new code of laws, hitherto administered by the M.C.C. was drawn up for the gathering. These have stood the test of time and today's rules are alike except for details such as the height of the net and posts and the distance of the service line from the net.
Wimbledon is acknowledged to be the premier tennis tournament in the world and the precedence of The All England Lawn Tennis Club, which hosts The Championships, is to maintain its leadership into the twenty first century. To that end a Long Term Plan was unveiled in 1993, which will perk up the quality of the event for viewers, players, official and neighbors.