Are you a Coldplay fan? If so, you’re not alone! Picking up where Pink Floyd left off, Coldplay has gained legions of fans with their ethereal, haunting music and personal, yet imaginative lyrics. For the most part, Coldplay has always kept their music at the forefront, rather than their personal lives. That said, the band’s long history has offered some interesting moments.
Here are some fun facts about Coldplay:
• Coldplay’s first official song was a joke song called, Ode to Deodorant.
• Chris Martin’s great-grandfather convinced English Parliament to introduce daylight savings.
• The New York Times once called Coldplay “The most insufferable band of the decade”.
• Coldplay’ fourth studio album, Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends, was named after a painting by Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. The painting was a still life of watermelons.
• The liner notes for Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends state that the album was recorded in bakery, a nunnery, a magic shop, and a church.
• MADTV has parodied three Coldplay songs: The Scientist, Viva La Vida and Speed of Sound.
• The 13th of January is known as St.Ode’s Day to Coldplay fans. This is to commemorate the date that a copy of the original Ode to Deodorant demo tape was leaked onto the Internet.
• Four puppets, representing the band members, were created for the video for, Life in Technicolor ii, These puppets were photographed at various tourist attractions and random places in the city or area that the band was currently performing in during the tour for Vida La Vida.
• Chirs Martin appears in the movie, Shaun of the Dead as both himself and a zombie in a yellow hat.
• The cover photo for Parachutes was taken by the band using a disposable camera. The globe in the photo also appeared in the videos for Don’t Panic and Shiver.
• 15% of all of Coldplay’s band profits go to charity.
• Coldplay is rumored to be playing the upcoming Super Bowl halftime show at Levis Stadium in 2016. Last year Katy Performed at the Super Bowl halftime show.
If you have never seen Coldplay Live in concert you for sure want to add it to your bucket list!